MAS-ESS Essay Competition 2011/2012
Moving Ahead With The Times:
Managing External Challenges
And Internal Diversities In Singapore
Once again, the Monetary Authority of Singapore and the Economic Society of Singapore invite entries for the ESS Essay Competition 2011/2012. Held annually, the Essay Competition seeks to promote economic literacy and encourage public awareness and debate on economic policy and financial issues affecting Singapore.
The Essay title is “Moving Ahead With The Times: Managing External Challenges and Internal Diversities In Singapore” .
This year's Competition is open to all pre-University students studying in Singapore, regardless of nationality, as well as all the pre-University Singaporean students studying abroad. The Competition invites submissions from Polytechnic, Centralised Institute, International schools, and Junior College students, as well as from pre-University full time national servicemen (NSF).
All entrants must comply with the Terms and Conditions of the Competition. The Competition will run for 2 months beginning 27 January 2012. All essays must be accompanied by a completed entry form and a 300-word summary, which must be received no later than 1st April 2012.
The following awards will be given to the winning essays:
- First Prize: $3,000
- Second Prize: $2,000
- Third Prize: $1,000
All Winners will be invited to attend the Competition's Award Ceremony, held in conjunction with the ESS Annual Dinner .
Winning essays will be selected by a panel of judges comprising representatives from the ESS, CSC, financial sector, private sector and government ministries.
How do I enter the Competition and submit my entry?
1. Please read the Competition's Terms & Conditions .
2. Entries can be submitted either online or via post. Refer to Terms & Conditions for details.
3. All entries are to be accompanied with the relevant Entry Forms
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Monetary Authority of Singapore and the Economic Society of Singapore (ESS) invite entries for the MAS-ESS Economics Essay Competition 2011/2012. The Essay Competition seeks to promote economic literacy and to encourage debate on economic policy and issues in Singapore, particularly among educators and the youth.
This year’s competition is open to all pre-University students studying in Singapore, regardless of nationality, as well as all pre-University Singaporean students studying abroad. The competition invites submissions from Polytechnics, Centralized Institutes, International Schools and Junior Colleges, as well as from pre-University full time national servicemen. The competition opens on 27th January 2012. All essays must be accompanied by a completed entry form and 300-word summary, which must be received no later than 1st April 2012.
1. The following prizes will be awarded to the winning essays:
First Prize $ 3,000
Second Prize $ 2,000
Third Prize $ 1,000
The winning essays will be selected by a panel of judges comprising representatives from the ESS, financial sector, private sector and government ministries.
SUBJECT MATTER AND PRESENTATION
2. The title of the essay competition for 2011/2012 is “Moving Ahead With The Times: Managing External Challenges and Internal Diversities in Singapore”.
3. The essay should provide an in-depth analysis of the changes facing Singapore and provide innovative ideas and suggested approaches for securing sustainable and inclusive growth. While the broad nature of the topic lends itself to consideration from non-economic perspectives, the essay should prioritise the application of economic principles and thinking.
4. The essay should assume the audience is familiar with basic principles and concepts in economics, but should favour plain English over technical language. The essay should be aimed at a well-read audience of laypersons rather than professional economists or policy makers. Charts, tables, and figures may be used, but the essay should emphasise critical thinking and insight over technical analysis and/or statistical description.
5. The essays must be original in content. Entries found to contain plagiarism will automatically be disqualified. Although essays may draw on existing work, they should be materially different from them in terms of analysis, style of arguments, perspectives, or conclusions. This could involve the application of previous work in a different context, or new analysis or perspectives significantly different from previous work. A bibliography acknowledging references to existing work is required.
6. All entries must be accompanied by a completed entry form(s). For joint authorship, only one entry form is required. Submission on behalf of an institution or firm is not permitted. The authors acknowledge that submission indicates acceptance by all the authors of all Terms and Conditions governing the Competition.
7. Members of the judging committee (and their immediate family members) are not eligible to enter the essay competition.
8. Entries must be in English and typed double-spaced on one side of each sheet of paper. The essay should not exceed 2000 words. This excludes charts, tables, footnotes, references and appendices.
9. A summary of no more than 300 words highlighting the main points of the essay must also be provided.
10. Submissions should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org via email titled “MAS-ESS Essay Competition Entry”, including as attachments: 1) the essay in PDF format, titled with the corresponding author’s name, last name first, and 2) the completed official entry form. Receipt of the essays will be acknowledged.
11. MAS-ESS Essay Competition Judging Committee reserves the right not to award any or all of the prizes. The Committee also reserves the sole copyright to all submissions.
12. Only winning participants will be contacted upon the finalisation of the results.
13. An awards ceremony will be held in conjunction with the ESS Annual Dinner 2012. All prize-winning essays will be posted on the ESS websites.
14. Please send any inquiries on the MAS-ESS Essay Competition Coordinator to the email address: email@example.com
Alternatively, you may contact:
Ms Vivian Tan
Economic Society of Singapore
Tel no: 6773-2913
Download entry form >>
For inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For submissions: email@example.com