In partnership with The Nightingale Theatre in Brighton, we’re really pleased to announce the launch of Bulbul 2012, our first annual playwriting competition for aspiring and emerging writers. (For those who don’t know, ‘bulbul’ is nightingale in Arabic.)
We are looking for four thirty-minute plays that engage with or respond to the Arab Spring. How you do that is entirely up to you. All we ask is that your work displays a unique voice, a strong storytelling element and a cohesive narrative.
The winning plays will be picked by a panel of judges that will include, amongst others, Steven Brett (Artistic Director of The Nightingale Theatre), Chris Taylor (Director of New Writing South), Tanushka Marah (Artistic Director of Company:Collisions) and award-winning playwright Alia Bano.
The winning entries will be performed by a professional cast at The Nightingale Theatre in September 2012.
- Scripts must have a playing time of approximately 30 minutes, require minimal set/props and an acting company of no more than four. Please note, we are not looking for monologues, musicals, adaptations or children’s theatre. Our focus is on the writing!
- Only original, previously unproduced/unpublished scripts that are inherently theatrical with live staging at their core will be accepted. Please do not send scripts for television, radio or film.
- All scripts must be in English, typed in 12pt font and double spaced.
- Please do not put your name or contact information anywhere on your script as all submissions will be read anonymously.
- Applicants must be aged 16 or over. There is no upper age limit.
- There is no limit on the number of plays an entrant can submit.
- A non-refundable entry fee of £5 per script will apply. Please use the PayPal button below. Under ‘Add special instructions to the seller’ please include your full name, address and the title of your play.
- Please do not send your only copy as we are unable to return scripts.
- Please do not send any amendments or further drafts once your script has been submitted.
- Please do not send cassettes, CDs, videos or sheet music with your script.
- We are unable to enter into any correspondence about scripts (except with shortlisted entries).
- The deadline for submission is 30 June 2012.
- The four winning entries will be announced on 31 July 2012.
For inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For submissions: Scripts (either in Word or PDF) must be submitted with a completed application form to email@example.com.