(Note: The deadline specified on the guidelines is May 5. However, the Korean Community Center of Greater Princeton indicated that the deadline is on May 15th. Refer here.)
Jeremy Lin of the New York Knicks has suddenly emerged as one of the most celebrated members of his team as well as a dynamic young player in the NBA. Many have labeled him as one of the most influential Chinese Americans. In what ways has he been an influential force for Asian Americans? You might also want to discuss the role and treatment of Asian Americans in the mainstream media. In your final paragraphs state how he has personally influenced you in your life.
- Applicant must be of Asian-American descent.
- Applicant mus t reside in the state of New Jersey.
- Applicant mus t be a college-bound high school senior.
ESSAY CRITERIA :
Essay is to be two (2) pages, doubled spaced, with 1 inch margins (475-500 words). One copy of the essay must be submitted with the essay application and one copy of the essay is to be sent electronically to LL16meadow@yahoo.com. Applicants will be judged on the criteria of essay.
- Theme and Content 50% - relevance and insight into the essay topic, validity of ideas and thoroughness of presentation;
- Organization and Development 15% - clear and logical development of essay;
- Grammar and Mechanics 15%;
- Style 10% - effectiveness and flow of writing; and
- Community Service and Extracurricular Activities 10%.
- Application mus t be legible.
Submitting Procedures and Deadline: All essays must be postmarked by May 5, 2012.
Application with all requirements are to be mailed to:
OCA – NJ Chapter
Essay Scholarship Program
Linda Lee, Education Committee
16 Meadow Lane
Verona, NJ 07044
Scholarships will be awarded at the OCA-NJ Asian American Heritage Luncheon to be held June 9, 2012 at the New Bon Buffet Restaurant, 125 Essex St. Maywood, NJ. Attendance at luncheon is required to be awarded the scholarships. Awards range from $300. - $1,000.
NOTE: Do not put your name on the essay. Be sure your e-mail address is on the upper right hand corner of each page.
Download the application form here.
For inquiries: call (973) 239-1985 or e-mail LL16meadow@yahoo.com
For submissions: applications should be mailed to OCA – NJ Chapter, Essay Scholarship Program, Linda Lee, Education Committee, 16 Meadow Lane, Verona, NJ 07044 AND e-mailed to LL16meadow@yahoo.com