Sue Nunn Show listeners! Send us your poems about your memories of childhood. You can be any age and you can come from anywhere in the world; you just need to be a listener.
What are your memories of childhood? Hot summer days in the paddling pool, fishing by the river, building snowmen, looking after younger brothers and sisters, story time, saving hay, picnics, birth, death, walking for miles to get water or firewood, bringing milk to the creamery, a new pet, ice skating, camping… the happy, the tragic, the poignant, the funny. Whatever your memories, wherever they are set, put them in a poem and get them to us. (Oh yes, and please read the rules below).
- 1st prize: €300
- 2nd prize: €200
- 3rd prize: €100
The prize winners will be announced in October 2012.
All entries must be accompanied by an entry form or use the online form here.
You can request an entry form from KCLR96fm, Broadcast Centre, Carlow Road, Kilkenny or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call 1890 909696 and request an entry form. You can enter by post to KCLR96fm, Broadcast Centre, Carlow Road, Kilkenny. You can also deliver your entry by hand to reception at either our Kilkenny studio, Broadcast Centre, Carlow Road, Kilkenny or our Carlow studio, Potato Market, Carlow .
The Sue Nunn Show Poetry Competition 2012 (the ‘Competition’) is organised by The Sue Nunn Show and KCLR.
Entrants: Entries may be submitted from anywhere in the world. The Competition is open to anyone who is not otherwise excluded by these rules. Employees of KCLR are not eligible to enter the Competition.
Entrant Identity: Participation may be under an entrant’s real name or under a pseudonym. The author’s legal name must be registered on the official entry form. Prizes can only be awarded to a “real person.”
- All poems must have a title.
- Poems must be on the theme of “Memories of Childhood.”
- Poems must be in English. The name of the writer or any other identifying marks must not appear on the submitted entry.
- Alterations cannot be made to poems after they have been submitted. Poems should not be obscene, offensive, defamatory or libellous.
- Poems must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been published, self-published, published on a website or broadcast or have won a prize in any other competition prior to the announcement of the winners (October 2012).
- There is no restriction on the number of poems that any one competitor may submit.
- Each competitor must complete an official application form. One application form will cover multiple entries.
- Confirmation of entries will normally be emailed at the time of submission.
- Entries may be emailed, posted or hand-delivered.
- It is preferable that entries should be typed but, if handwritten, handwriting should be clear and easy to read.
- Poems will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- If you would like confirmation that your postal entry has been received, please include a stamped addressed envelope/postcard with your entry. Online entries made via the website will receive automatic confirmation at the time of submission. KCLR staff are unable to confirm the content of documents submitted online, so please ensure you send the correct file.
- The three judges will be chosen by The Sue Nunn Show team who reserve the right to make appropriate and necessary changes to the judging panel.
- The entries will be judged anonymously and the poet’s name must not appear on the poem itself.
- The judging will take place in the month following the closure of the Competition.
- The judges’ decision is final and neither the judges nor KCLR staff will enter into any correspondence.
Timetable: The deadline for entries is midnight (Irish time) 31st August 2012.
- The copyright of each entry remains with the author.
- In the case that an entry is selected for publication, by submitting an entry, the Entrant grants a non-exclusive worldwide licence to KCLR to broadcast and publish the entry (and any background information supplied by the entrant) in an anthology (in any digital or print format) and on the KCLR website.
- By participation in the Competition, the Entrant grants a non-exclusive worldwide licence to KCLR to publish and broadcast any comment (made in the judging process) either in an anthology (in any digital or print format) and on the KCLR website.
- 1st prize: €300
- 2nd prize: €200
- 3rd prize: €100
The prize winners will be announced in October 2012. KCLR can decide not to award prizes if, in the judges’ opinion, such an action is justified.
- KCLR accepts no liability to any user of this site or any third party for any damage or loss suffered as a consequence of use of this site.
- KCLR cannot accept responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the Competition.
- The Competition and Rules will be governed by Irish Law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Irish courts. As a condition of entering the Competition, entrants must ensure that by doing so, they do not contravene any laws of their own country of residence.
- KCLR reserves the right to amend these Rules where it is deemed necessary to do so or where circumstances are beyond KCLR’s control.
- In the event of any dispute regarding these Rules or any other matter relating to the Competition, the decision of KCLR shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- Entry of the Competition implies unqualified acceptance of all the Competition’s Rules.
For queries: email@example.com
For submissions: via the online submission page