Deadline: 30 June 2012
The Banff Mountain Book Competition is an internationally recognized literary competition that will celebrate its 19th year in 2012. Winners will be announced during the Book Awards at the 2012 Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival in November.
2012 BANFF MOUNTAIN BOOK COMPETITION CATEGORIES
Prizes will be awarded in each of the following categories (Please note: books written primarily for children and young adults are not suitable for this competition):
Adventure Travel — includes fiction and non-fiction books with a theme of travel to, and exploration of, remote or rugged landscapes and their cultures. (English editions only) $1000(CAD)
Mountain Guide Books — includes hiking, climbing, mountaineering, and “how-to” books dealing with physical activities in a mountain area. (English editions only) $1000(CAD)
Mountain Image — includes books with a primary focus on mountain images and with text in a subordinate role. Images may include photographs, drawings, and reproductions. (Publications in all languages are eligible) $1000(CAD)
Mountain and Wilderness Literature — includes non-fiction and fiction books on mountaineering, mountain history, mountain travel, mountain culture and environment, mountain adventure, and mountain or wilderness experience of any kind. (English editions only) $1000(CAD)
A Grand Prize of $2000(CAD) will be awarded to the best overall book, regardless of category.
1) To be eligible for the 2012 Banff Mountain Book Competition, entries must be first editions published in 2011 or 2012. (Note: we regret, we no longer accept new editions of earlier publications)
2) Each title may be entered in the competition only once.
3) Entries may be submitted by authors or publishers.
4) All works, except those in the category of Mountain Image, must be in English.
5) A copy of the entry form must be received by us (on-line, e-mail, mail or fax) by June 30, 2012, indicating your intention to submit an entry. Early submission is encouraged and appreciated.
6) Books must be received at the festival office in Banff no later than June 30, 2012; as either finished books or as advance reading copies. Titles received initially as ARCs must reach us in finished form by August 1, 2012.
7) Each entry must include six (6) finished copies of the book (or four (4) copies if in proof form). These are necessary for the judging process, and will NOT be returned.
8) Entries must be accompanied by a synopsis of a maximum of 60 words. Other promotional materials such as press releases, reviews, etc., are welcome but are not a requirement.
9) Bound galleys or advance reading copies may be accepted as an interim entry for titles due to be published after June 30, 2012, but must be received by June 30th.
10) Please email a high-resolution image file (TIFF preferred) of the book cover to: firstname.lastname@example.org
11) The competition organizers reserve the right to select the category most appropriate for a submission.
12) The competition organizers reserve the right to use excerpts from, and/or complete entries submitted for promotional purposes.
13) Finalists will be announced in early October 2012.
14) Winners will be announced to the public during the 2012 Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival.
15) Winning authors and publishers may be notified in advance.
16) Decisions made by the jury will be final.
17) All titles submitted will be displayed in the Reading Room during the 2012 Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival.
18) The dispatch of any entry to the festival implies acceptance of these regulations by the entrant.
19) Books written primarily for children and young adults are not suitable for this competition.
20) If for any reason you foresee difficulty in meeting these requirements, please contact the competition coordinator at: email@example.com
ENTRIES FROM OUTSIDE CANADA
All entries shipped from OUTSIDE CANADA must include two (2) copies of the completed Customs form in an envelope labelled and attached to the outside of the parcel. Please note that the declared value should be equivalent to the cost of materials only. Shipping, customs duty and taxes are the responsibility of the entrant.
For queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For submissions: via the entry form