Like athletes of any sport, writers aspire for something greater. This month, Writing the City celebrates that shared spirit of the Olympics and Paralympics. Use this theme to write a character-driven piece on an athlete, a coach, a mother, a friend… or any character that embodies that determination and perseverance in the face of adversity, against the odds.
Characters are always moulded by the world around them, so don’t forget to ground your character in the sights, sounds and people of the city. Write in any genre of your choosing as long as it is based on this theme. Our judges will be looking out for pieces that bring that character to life.
WINNERS WILL RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING PRIZES:
- First Prize: $120 Kinokuniya Book Voucher
- 2 runners up will receive London 2012 Olympic notebooks
Please make sure that you pay close attention to following all the rules and instructions below when entering the Competition:
- All Poetry entries must be no longer than 30 lines
- The maximum word limit is 650 words. There is no minimum word limit
- All entries must follow our Posting Guidelines, except regarding length
- The deadline for entries is 31 July 2012
For submissions: sign up and post your entry here