LTI Korea's MIssion is to spread Korean literature and culture abroad and thereby contribute to global culture. Here at LTI Korea, we run a wide range of programs to help Korean literature reach more readers across the globe. We provide grants to translators and publishers, support literature-related international exchange and training programs for literary translators, and offer fellowships to scholars of Korean literature. Our doors are wide open to everyone interested in Korean literature. We welcome participation and suggestions from all quarters.
The LTIKorea sponsors publication of Korean books overseas. Guidelines below.
LTI Korea provides publication grants to overseas publishers who are planning to publish the translated Korean books in order to reach more international readers through overseas publication of Korean books.
ELIGIBLE BOOKS AND LANGUAGES
All projects are eligible that are to translate any Korean book published in the Korean language in Korea.
HOW FUNDS ARE DETERMINED AND GRANTED
Grants are made to cover part of the publishing costs, depending on, for example, the language used, the nature and genre of the book, and the reputation of the overseas publisher.
Grants are paid, in a lump sum, upon completion of publication. (In case the LTIKorea sponsors translation of the candidate book, it is possible to pay part of the grants as advance pay.)
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED
- Publisher’s profile including its detailed history and major achievements (e.g., its previous publications related to Korea (if any), the total number of books it has published to date, etc.).
- Business proposal detailing the schedule and budgets for publishing
- Agreement between the publisher and the copyright holder(s)
- Agreement between the publisher and the translator(s)
HOW TO APPLY
Application shall be filled online, after signing up for membership on the LTIKorea website.
APPLICATION SCHEDULE AND ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS
Application Schedule: accepted on a rolling basis. The result would be announced as follows:
- If applied by March 31: Selection to be announced in late April
- by June 30: Selection to be announced in late July
- by September 30: Selection to be announced in late October
HOW SELECTIONS ARE MADE
The screening board, consisting of independent experts, would review application and make a decision on whether grants are given and the amount of grants.
※ In case the LTIKorea sponsors translation of an art work, grants for that candidate work are
determined through internal screening process.
- The local interests in the candidate work
- Specificity of publishing plan and validity of the budget planning
- Reputation of the overseas publisher
MANDATORY EXECUTION OF SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT
- A publisher who is selected as a beneficiary shall enter into an agreement with the LTIKorea(“SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT")
- The SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT shall stipulate, as part of its terms and conditions, such information as name and address of the publisher, the name of the book to be published under the LTIKorea program, names of the author(s) and the translator(s), language subject to translation, expected date of publication, number of copies to be published, and amounts of LTIKorea grants.
DURATION OF SPONSORSHIP
The beneficiary publisher shall complete publication no later than the date specified in the SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT, unless both parties thereto agree to extension of said date in advance. In case said extension lasts six months or longer, the beneficiary publisher shall submit to the LTIKorea a written statement explaining the delay.
PROVISION OF COPIES OF TRANSLATED BOOK
- Number of Copies: The LTIKorea and the beneficiary publisher mutually determine, in consideration of genre, language and size, how many copies to be provided to the LTIKorea.
- The beneficiary publisher shall deliver said copies to the LTIKorea at its costs and expenses.
- The LTIKorea does not sell or distribute said copies for commercial purposes.
OBLIGATIONS OF BENEFICIARY PUBLISHER
- The beneficiary publisher shall promptly notify, in writing, the LTIKorea of any occurrence of an event that makes the publication impossible under normal circumstances, such as merger or liquidation; and shall abide by the determinations rendered by the LTIKorea including, without limitation, modification of the terms of the SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT.
- Any book published under the LTIKorea sponsorship shall express said sponsorship on its "copyright page."
- The beneficiary publisher shall submit an annual sales report, by the end of the 1st quarter of each year, on the sales status.
- The LTIKorea reserves the right to use some copies of the book published under its sponsorship for non-commercial purposes.
- All submitted documents are not returned to applicants.
- In case the beneficiary fails to publish the candidate book within six months of the date specified in the SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT, and the beneficiary publisher fails to submit a written explanation to the LTIKorea for the delay, the LTIKorea may elect to terminate the AGREEMENT and to take back the entire money paid to said publisher.
- The LTIKorea reserves the right to cancel its sponsorship or to demand return of the money paid to the beneficiary publisher in case it transpires (i) that said publisher has provided false information upon application, (ii) that it has used the KLTI grants for a purpose other than the one specified in the SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT, or (iii) the quality of the book published under the LTIKorea sponsorship significantly fails to meet the expectations.
- The LTIKorea internal regulations concerning overseas publication apply when the SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT does not set forth relevant provisions.
For queries: contact Mina Park, Youngju Cha at email@example.com
For submissions: apply online here