Deadline: 16 August 2012
The Press Council of India has been mandated by the Parliament to improve the standards of journalism and maintaining its freedom. This, it has been doing through its adjudications as well as pronouncements and reports on specific issues.
To encourage the media to pursue its duties following the dictum of ‘freedom with responsibility’, the Press Council of India, as the only statutory authority enjoying such mandate, has instituted National Awards to honour journalists/photojournalists excelling in print journalism in various fields on the occasion of National Press Day every year.
The Press Council of India invites nominations by August 16, 2012 from the Editors of Newspapers/News Agencies/Freelancers in order to recognize outstanding contribution in print journalism of their journalists/photojournalists of Indian nationality. The Awards carry cash award as below, plaque and citation. The Awards are in six following categories:
1. Raja Ram Mohan Roy National Award for Excellence in Journalism: Rs. One Lakh
2. Rural Journalism: Rs. Fifty Thousand
3. Developmental Reporting: Rs. Fifty Thousand
4. Stree Shakti: Rs. Fifty Thousand
5. Photo Journalism: (i)Single News Picture - Rs. Fifty Thousand, (ii)Photo Feature - Rs. Fifty Thousand
1. Open to all journalists/freelancers of Indian nationality. The nomination of journalist employed with a newspaper to be made by the editor of the newspaper/news agency, who shall declare that the journalist being nominated has been in regular employment of the newspaper/news agency for the preceding calendar year. He/She should have contributed at least 10-15 reports/photographs with bye line in the given year which should be attached to the entry form. The nomination to be counter signed by the nominated journalist. Freelancers making self nomination may also file a self attested declaration.
2. Joint Declaration by the editor and nominated journalist or by freelancer that the material taken into consideration for award is the sole creation of the journalist/photo-journalist and was first published in the preceding calendar year and all rights of the material vest in the newspaper/journalist/photo-journalist.
3. Language Paper articles should be translated in English /Hindi.
4. All photo entries must include a caption either in English or Hindi or translation thereto
5. Each entry must also document journalist’s/photo-journalist’s professional status
6. Awards are not open to sitting members of the Council
Entry form, Declaration forms and Rules be downloaded from the Press Council of India’s website http://presscouncil.nic.in or obtained from the Press Council Secretariat (Under Secretary, Editorial, Room No. 353, 3rd Floor, Soochna Bhawan, 8-C.G.O. Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi- 110 003).
Advance soft copies can be sent to Secretary, Press Council of India with nominations at e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: All entries addressed to the Secretary, Press Council of India, Soochna Bhawan, 8-C.G.O. Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi- 110 003 in sealed envelope marked “CONFIDENTIAL” to reach her on or before August 16, 2012 (till 5.00 p.m.). No entry received after 05.00 p.m. on 16.8.2012 will be entertained.
RULES FOR NATIONAL AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN JOURNALISM
1. There is no fee for submission of an entry.
2. Each entry shall be made in the manner and with the forms and enclosures mentioned herein.
3. The Awards are open to all journalists of Indian nationality employed on a regular basis in registered newspaper across the country and also the freelancers except the sitting members of the Council.
4. The entry submitted must be from the Editor of a Registered Newspaper/News Agency and the freelancers on their own.
5. The original articles/photographs submitted of the publication/coverage must indicate the publication date.
6. Any significant challenge to the veracity, accuracy, fairness, or authenticity or objection to significant omission of any entry such as published letters, corrections, clarifications, retractions, should be included.
7. The entry must disclose if the article/photograph is a subject matter of legal challenge/proceedings. The Jury and/or the Press Council of India may require the nominee to furnish additional information/explanation in such case.
8. No more than one entry for the same journalist/photo-journalist may be submitted. No newspaper/news agency may have more than one entry in each category.
9. Winners who have received awards two times for the same article/photograph will not be eligible for nomination.
10. An English translation must be supplied for an entry in regional language.
11. A sponsoring letter of nomination should be submitted, signed by the Editor of the newspaper/news agency.
12. Incomplete entry form and enclosures, torn, ripped and or mutilated will automatically invalidate the entry and disqualify the nominee.
13. The article/photograph entered must have been published in the preceding calendar year.
14. The nominees will be deemed to have read and understood the rules and regulations when they sign the entry form.
15. The Press Council of India have full right and license to announce the prize winners and in pursuance thereof or otherwise to cover the National Awards for Excellence in Journalism, publish the content of the material and/or biography sketch with or without the photograph and with or without the name of the newspaper/news agency, which have been submitted.
16. The material and entry form once submitted shall become the property of the Press Council of India.
17. The decision of the jury appointed by the Press Council of India shall be final and binding. No correspondence of whatsoever nature will be entertained by the Press Council of India.
18. The names of the winners and the prizes will be announced by the Press Council of India. The date of announcement of results and the place for distribution of the prizes will be at the sole discretion of the Press Council of India.
19. The Press Council of India reserves its right to suspend, cancel, or modify the rules and regulations for these Awards at any time and without prior notice.
20. No claim of whatsoever nature shall be entertained if the winner(s) fail(s) to collect the Prize(s) at the Awards ceremony and/or venue specified by the Press Council of India or within two months thereof.
21. New Delhi Courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
22. The Award categories and criteria are specified at http://presscouncil.nic.in. Complete entries should be submitted to Secretary, Press Council of India, Soochna Bhawan, 8-C.G.O. Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi- 110 003.
Download: entry form, declaration form
For queries: email@example.com
For submissions: Secretary, Press Council of India, Soochna Bhawan, 8-C.G.O. Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi- 110 003