Sangam House is an international writers' residency program located in India which brings together writers from across the world to live and work among their peers in a safe, supportive and nurturing space.
Applications for 2012-2013 must be received by July 31, 2012. Dates for the next Sangam House Session are 4th November 2012 to 27th January 2013
All applicants are automatically considered for the appropriate fellowships.
- The Lavanya Sankaran Fellowship supports new writing from India.
- The Nevatia Fellowship supports non-fiction writing in English, especially in the areas of social and cultural change.
- The Prakriti Foundation Fellowships support writing in Tamil and Kannada.
- The Bianca Pancoat Patton Fellowship supports the work of young women writers from India.
- The Asif Currimbhoy Fellowship supports writing for the stage in all Indian languages including English. Asif Currimbhoy was a leading Indian playwright in the 1960s and 70s. He wrote in English and his plays were performed all over the country as well as at the La Mama theatre in New York City.A donor who wishes to remain anonymous supports contemporary writing in Hindi.
A residency at Sangam House covers only board and lodge. Writers are required to cover travel costs to and from our location.
HOW TO APPLY:
All applications must be submitted electronically. These documents are required:
1. A brief (2 pages, maximum) statement about your work history, referencing publications, performances and writing credits. This can be submitted in CV format.
2. A writing sample, no more than 50 pages. (Please be sure to indicate if the writing is published or unpublished; if it is published please provide details.)
3. A one page description of the work to be undertaken while at Sangam House.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Writing sample does NOT have to be an English translation; please submit your writing sample in your mother tongue. All other documentation must be submitted in English.
In the "Cover Letter" field please be sure to provide the following information:
1. Country of Birth
2. Country of Residency
3. The language in which you write
4. Your preferred length of stay at Sangam House
5. Your preferred arrival and departures dates (please provide first, second and third choices)
In addition to these requirements, every applicant must arrange to have a letter of recommendation submitted online separately. The letter can be provided by a fellow writer, teacher, editor, literary agent, or any informed individual who can speak to the applicant's character and work.
Letters should include contact information for the individual submitting the recommendation. Individuals submitting a letter of recommendation can only submit a letter for ONE applicant. Applicants are NOT eligible to submit a letter of recommendation for any fellow applicants.
All notifications will be provided electronically by September 15, 2012.
If you are unable to submit an application electronically, please write with an explanation of the circumstances to:
- In South Asia – Arshia Sattar at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Outside of South Asia – DW Gibson at email@example.com
If selected, all non-Indian applicants will be responsible for obtaining a tourist visa to India 6 weeks in advance of their travel date.
For queries: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
For submissions: via submittable