Damantion Books would like to publish more things set in exotic locations. They have a strong lineup of books set in the USA and Australia, and they would like to see more books set elsewhere, especially books with good descriptions of local color and which involve the local culture in some way.
WORD LENGTHS: 20,000 to 140,000 words
- Dark fantasy
- Science fiction
- Weird westerns and steampunk
- Erotica (in dark settings)
- GBLT dark fiction
- Young Adult
- Paranormal and supernatural or occult
WHAT WE WANT:
As our name implies, we like dark stories across all the genres we offer. If someone’s ever told you a story is too dark, we’d love to see it.
- Horror: Any story with horrific elements: Zombies, lycanthropes, vampires, mummies, demons, psychological. Situational and dark comedy stories are welcome. Please no pedophilia. Gore, sex and violence should be important to the story, not just filler. Nothing is too extreme though we reserve judgment based upon whether the readership for a particular story is large enough to support sales.
- Dark Fantasy: Ancient themes, other worldly elements, magic (for good or ill), mythology, gothic themes, sword and sorcery, apocalyptic stories. Any culture or unique worlds are good. No rainbows and unicorns here. If you have those things, elves, sprites or other fairy folk, we’re only interested if we’re seeing the dark sides to their nature. Although pinning them up against a tree will be perfectly fine.
- Thrillers: Action-packed, fast-paced stories. Serial murders, investigative, mysteries, stalkers, cults, espionage and spy stories work well. Military themes also.
- Science Fiction: Any science fiction story, though we lean to the dark side. Speculative fiction and surreal works, alternative perspectives, humorous also.
- Paranormals: First off: no paranormal romance. Send those to our sister site: Eternal Press: www.eternalpress.biz We recommend checking their guidelines first as there are differences. Characters can be romantic or have romantic moments but not as the focus of the story. Think Poltergeist not Twilight. Paranormals contain creatures or with mind powers, ghosts, mind control and extra-sensory perception. Characters with ‘sight’ or mental abilities are welcome, as are other-worldly stories, possession and religious experience (so long as it isn’t preachy).
HOW TO SUBMIT TO DAMNATION BOOKS:
Submit a cover letter in the body of the email that contains the following:
- Word Count
- Brief synopsis
- A short biography
- Your marketing plan, should we accept your manuscript for publication. We expect our authors to be active in the marketing of their titles alongside our efforts.
Attach the following to your cover letter in .doc or .rtf format:
- For stories less than 50,000 words: Send us the complete manuscript with your contact information, title, word count, and genre at the top of the first page.
- For novels 50,000 and up: Send us the first three chapters and the last chapter, with your contact information, title, word count, and genre at the top of the first page.
Your manuscript should contain either 1-1/2 or double spacing and one inch margins. Use a 12 pt. Book Antiqua, Times Roman, or Georgia font.
Send to Damnation books with a subject line: SUBMISSIONS_your name_book title to firstname.lastname@example.org Please allow six to eight weeks for a response.
Damnation Books pays 40% royalties on net revenue to the Author for eBooks and 25% net on revenue for print. We hold all rights for five (5) years from date of publication. We do not pay advances. Rights requested are worldwide for ebooks and US, Canada, Australian, and UK print rights.
If we accept your manuscript for publication, we will supply you with specific formatting guidelines. You must be able to edit with a track changes feature (Microsoft word has this).
Our books are available in many formats through our Eternal Press website, Fictionwise, Amazon, CoffeeTime Romance, All Romance eBooks, Amazon Digital, Kobo, Itunes, Blio, Content Reserve and more. The list is continually growing as Content Reserve and LSI distribute eBooks to many other retailers like Chapters/Indigo, Borders, Books on Board, eBook Mall, book expos, and foreign Libraries. LSI print distribution includes US, Canada, UK, and Australia.
For queries/ submissions: email@example.com