Samtoy Books is a marketing and distribution outlet for over 500 titles from Ilocos and the entire country - scholarly, literature and children's books. Samtoy Books seeks to strengthen Ilocano Literature and promote homegrown writers through collective action and to increase the visibility and accessibility of the wealth of Ilocano scholarship and culture.
They are holding a literary competition for Filipino writers of any age. Authors must submit their entries to Samtoy Books on or before 5:00PM on August 30, 2012.
- The contest consists of three (3) categories: Romance Novelette (mailking nobelang pampag-ibig); Free-form Novelette (maikling nobela na may malayang paksa); and Poetry Collection (Koleksyon ng mga Tula).
- Authors are free to choose between English and Filipino (tagalog) as their medium of writing.
- All entries must explore the heritage, customs and/or traditions of Ilocos Norte although they need not be historical.
- All entries must be original. Adaptations of any literary work are not eligible for consideration.
- All entries must not have been previously published whether in part or in full, online or in print.
- In the novelette (maikling nobela) categories, each entry must be at least 10, 000 words or at most 20, 000 words in length. It must also have an Ilocos Norte landmark as its backdrop.
- In the poetry/tula categories, an entry must consist of a collection of ten (10) poems, each of which isn’t subject to any definitive length.
- Authors can submit as many entries as desired, provided that the entries are original.
- Translations and re-workings of any submitted entry cannot be entered into other categories.
- All entries must be computerized (Microsoft Word file, .doc; 8 ½” x 11” bond paper; Font: Times New Roman, Size 12; double-spaced; one-inch margin on all sides; with their page numbers as footers i.e. page 1 of 5 and so on).
- Each manuscript must not bear the author’s real name or any distinguishing marks.
- Each entry must have five (5) hard copies and a soft copy in CD form, along with a duly accomplished entry form. These must be sealed in a short brown envelope marked with the entry title, category and division.
- Authors with more than one entry must submit a separate envelope per entry.
- There will only be one (1) winner per category.
- Governor Imee Marcos, together with the Provincial Government of Ilocos Norte’s Communications and Media Office and Tourism Office, will decide on the winners of the contest.
- Winning entries will be published by Samtoy Books.
- A cash prize of PHP10,000 (ten thousand pesos) will be given to the winner of the Romance Novelette / Maikling Nobelang Pampag-ibig category.
- A cash prize of PHP5,000 (five thousand pesos) will be given to the winner of the Free-form Novelette / Maikling Nobela na may Malayang Paksa category.
- A cash prize of PHP2,000 (two thousand pesos) will be given to the winner of the Poetry Collection/ Koleksyon ng mga Tula category.
Disclaimer: Samtoy Books will own the copyright of winning entries with proper acknowledgement of the authors.
Additional Information: Entry forms will be available at Samtoy Books from June 29, 2012 until August 30, 2012. You can also download them below.
For more information, please contact Jane U. Gaspar (0915-360-55-48) or thru email ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) or visit Samtoy Books at 2/F La Tabacalera Ilocano Lifestyle Center beside Museo Ilocos Norte.
For queries: email@example.com
For submissions: Samtoy Books at 2/F La Tabacalera Ilocano Lifestyle Center, Ilocos Norte