There are a number of senior opportunities for candidates with the right mix of demonstrated editorial leadership, commitment to the highest standards of journalism and an understanding of changing audience needs on a range of platforms.
ABC News draws on the expertise and content produced by hundreds of ABC journalists from eight state and territory newsrooms, 60 local regional newsrooms and 12 international bureaux, producing a wide range of content and programming across radio, television and digital platforms.
This position will be central in leading news gathering and production both nationally and internationally to serve the needs of ABC audiences. We are looking for an accomplished executive to lead and manage a multiplatform newsroom which combines the news resources of Radio Australia and Australia Network to deliver comprehensive news and current affairs coverage to and from the Asia Pacific Region.
1. Programming & Editorial Leadership
- Lead the team of journalists and content makers to produce news content for Australia Network, Radio Australia and ABC International, Online.
- Drive the editorial agenda to ensure that APNC output represents the highest standards of journalism and reflects the principles of independence, integrity, responsibility and accuracy.
- Liaise with Australia Network and Radio Australia management on editorial and programming issues as they arise and ensure adherence to their editorial briefs.
- Build the profile of APNC in the region.
- Further improve editorial performance and participate in regular review processes as required by Head News Content.
2. Leadership and Management of People
- Provide leadership and direction to staff to achieve high standards of programming and to build a capable, skilled and motivated workforce to deliver news in a multiplatform environment. Includes recruitment, performance management, training, and the provision of advice and daily involvement in programs.
- Oversee the supervision of APNC foreign correspondents and work with theManaging Editor, Bureaux , in managing coverage of the region.
- Be responsible for Service Level Agreements, budget management, resource allocation and performance management of staff.
- Continue the development of technical innovation at APNC and ensure that program teams are multi-skilled, using the latest acquisition and broadcasting technology.
- Actively model and promote the ABC Values and apply all relevant policies and guidelines including Editorial Policies, Equity & Diversity and OH&S.
3. Stakeholder Management
Build and maintain strong, constructive relationships with:
- Other departments within the News Division in order to achieve co-operation and mutual support, while ensuring the delivery of relevant and quality APNC content, as required to all News platforms.
- ABC International regarding the scheduling of programs in order to achieve the best delivery of APNC content.
- Support Divisions, particularly ABC Resources, to obtain quality services and suitably skilled staff to work with the Asia Pacific News Centre.
4. Resource and Financial Management
- Manage budgets and facilities to ensure effective and efficient use of resources. Oversee program budget performance and ensure adherence to budget targets.
- High-level leadership, negotiation and communication skills.
- Extensive experience and proven track record at a senior level in radio, television and online news/current affairs reporting, production, programming and editorial management.
- High level experience in delivering innovative programming for the Asia Pacific region.
- Extensive experience in management of budgets and resources.
- Demonstrated strong personal drive and proven ability to lead change in a media environment.
- Ability to influence and guide staff.
- Extensive experience in developing networks and relationships at a senior level within the media industry.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, the ABC's aims, objectives and workplace values, together with relevant policies and guidelines including Editorial Policies, Equity and Diversity and WH&S.
Copies of the ABC Editorial Policies are available at abc.net.au. Applicants must address the selection criteria. For more information on working at the ABC and how to apply, visit abc.net.au/careers. The ABC is an equal opportunity employer. The ABC invites Indigenous Australians to apply for this position.
For queries: contact Chrissie Henebery on (02) 8333 3095
For submissions: apply via ABC's career site here