The Philadelphia chapter of the Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) is pleased to announce the Vijaya L. Balaji Scholarship, which will award $500 to a student who intends to pursue a journalism career, and who is of modest financial means.
The scholarship is in honor of Mrs. Vijaya L. Balaji, the late mother of former AAJA-Philadelphia president, Murali Balaji. Mrs. Balaji was a committed supporter to the chapter, who believed in the education of minority journalists.
REQUIREMENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Applicants must be a college freshman, sophomore, or junior in the 2013-14 school year.
- AAJA membership is not required to apply, but if the student is awarded the scholarship, he/she must become an AAJA student member (cost is $25 for the year).
- The winner must provide a copy of his/her most recently submitted Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before receiving the scholarship money to show proof of financial need.
- The winner needs to volunteer some time in 2013 to helping the Philadelphia chapter by recruiting other student journalists to the chapter, or by assisting in organizing an event.
- A one-page essay describing your background, what you have done in journalism so far, and what you plan to do in journalism as a career. Include your name, phone number, e-mail, and addresses.
- Names of two references, with phone numbers and e-mail addresses.
- A transcript of your grades for college courses taken, or high-school grades if you are in high school.
Please note: Special consideration for this scholarship will be given to a student who is the first person in his or her family to go to college. The scholarship is to be used for college fees or books.
SELECTION PROCESS: The AAJA-Philadelphia chapter board, former president Murali Balaji, and one non-AAJA individual who is a leader in the Asian American community will make up the selection committee.
The winner will be announced by Apr. 15, 2013, and a check for $500 will be mailed Aug. 2013.
AAJA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to improving the coverage of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and helping them enter and succeed in the news industry.
For queries/ submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org